Saturday, December 4, 2010

Gaining Perspective On My Bir-s-day

Today was my birthday (or bir-s-day as my Hungarian grandmother says...) and it was a really nice day! Baby F "slept in" until about 7:30, then we all hung out in bed and opened cards and presents and played with the wrapping and envelopes (okay - that was just Baby F...) Once we finally got moving we had breakfast at Toast in Cherry Creek and then jetted off to Target to shop for holiday gifts for some children we "adopted" through the Denver Police Department.

We adopted three kids this year and it just breaks my heart to read their gift lists. While there are some fun gift requests (makeup for a 13-year-old girl, wrestling toys for an 11-year-old boy), there are also some that no kid I knew growing up would ask for, like a winter coat or shoes. Yes - we might have asked for a trendy coat (I remember the year I got my first jean jacket for Christmas - score!) or the latest style of shoes, but these kids are asking out of necessity, not to be trendy.

This year my entire perspective on the holidays has changed. Perhaps it's being a new mom, or maybe it's a part of becoming more socially aware, but it truly feels better to give to those in need and to simply enjoy being with the ones I love, celebrating all of the wonderful blessings we're so privileged to have. I hope the joy I get from giving to those in need passes along to Baby F.

No comments:

Post a Comment