Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Friends = Happiness

Book Club - Aug. 30, 2011
I belong to the world's best Book Club. It's filled with girls who mostly met through work - but we have a few "outsiders" who came via friendships and sisterhood (the real blood-sisterhood kind...). Not all of the outsiders we've invited to join us stuck and we recently declared book club closed - no more new applications accepted (at least for now...). We're happy the way we are - and we make one another so happy it's hard to measure.

No matter how bumpy my life gets - and goodness knows it's been bumpy lately - I know I always have my girls to turn to. Our lives have changed thanks to marriages, kids, divorces, moves, breakups, new jobs and many other life events, but at the end of the day we still have one another - and we just make one another smile. If I need a hug - I know I will get it from my girls. If I need a celebration - I know they'll be the first to raise a glass. I will still never forget the girls coming the "roost" the day we found out that our old dog Cowboy was going to leave us. I also won't ever forget dancing with my girls at my wedding - in the middle of a circle of pure love.

Tonight we held Book Club at Carrie's house. Just days off of planning the biggest event of her life, Carrie hosted a fantastic book club that incorporated our fairly recent tradition of round robin updates. From purely happy updates to "the world is finally looking up" updates we gathered in a circle and toasted each one. Whether life hands us lemons or whether we're furiously making lemonade we always have each other. Friends = happiness and I am so lucky to have an over-abundance of both in my life.

4 comments:

  1. I am raising a glass to your book club. They are a great group of ladies and very lucky to have you in their circle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for documenting how book club makes us all feel...like the luckiest ladies in the universe! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carissa, you have such a gift with words - thanks for capturing the wonderfulness of our group that goes way beyond "book club"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Carissa for the great post! The girls= happiness no matter what is going on in my life. Love you!

    ReplyDelete