Friday, April 22, 2011

Delicious Dish: Nikki's Green Chili Soup

I got the following recipe from my dear friend Nikki - and as I'm not entirely sure where she got it I'm going to go ahead and name it Nikki's Green Chili & Chicken Soup! Nikki made this dish for us when our families were together in Edwards for Spring Break and it was delicious. I modified the recipe a little - mostly because of what we had on hand - and it was still really delicious. Enjoy!

Nikki's Green Chili & Chicken Soup

  • 1 cardboard container chicken broth (I used low sodium)
  • 1 roast chicken, shredded (I used about 1/2 a pretty good-size chicken)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 green pepper, chopped (I used a whole small one)
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 jar salsa verde
  • 1 can beans (Nikki used white beans - I think cannellini - but I used a can of a three bean mix and it was still great!)
  • 2-3 tablespoons sugar (I used two)
  • 1.5 small cans of green chilies (I used two whole cans - what do you do with a left over 1/2 can?)
  • Juice from one lime
  • Spices to taste (I did kind of a generous "shake" of each):
    • Paprika
    • Pepper
    • Cumin
I simply put all of the above ingredients into a stock pot, brought it to a boil, and then let it simmer for a half hour. Nikki served the soup over rice - I had quinoa on hand so used that and it was yummy! My husband added some Frank's Red Hot (I thought it was spicy enough without it!) You could add some cheese, or even a dollop of sour cream, and if you didn't want to serve over rice you could definitely add a tortilla or two. Delicious - and so many options!

No comments:

Post a Comment