Saturday, January 15, 2011

Da-da-da, Ma-ma-ma, Doy-doy-doy, and other Baby F-isms

Baby F is changing so much every day, and lately he's been talking up a storm! We had a play date today with some friends and were talking about what it takes to get a baby talking, and wouldn't you know I then came across this interesting article from Babble.com (aptly named for this topic... but a font of knowledge for many other parenting-related stuff!) about how to jump-start infant language.



Some of the highlights for me happily resonate with the Montessori approach, which fits in with what Baby F learns at school - yeah! I really like the point about letting the baby drive the conversation (we try very hard to encourage Baby F every time he engages with us, even though we have no idea what he's saying!) I also like the suggestion that babies learn by reading lips. This makes so much sense as Baby F gets really excited when you lean in to him and really annunciate. I guess we were doing something right and didn't even know it!

Current favorite words (at 7.5 months old) include Da-da-da (we try to associate this with Daddy or dog, depending on who's in the room) and Ma-ma-ma. I try to reply, "Yes, Finny?" when he says Ma-ma-ma and I'm around. Will be interesting to see if this approach works, and what his "real" first words will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment